Another year gone and I didn’t post a darn thing. So here is my feeble attempt to record a little bit of family history. I suppose this is my version of the Nelson Christmas Letter.
- Aric became head brewer at Eastlake.
- Kiah finished her Masters and started teaching kindergarten.
- Mira became a reader, and Ella started gymnastics.
- Kate and Tuan got more publications and began interviewing for faculty positions.
- Matt moved to Nepal to teach.
- Erin got an extension on her position at Bowdoin.
- I added “grant co-director” to my resume.
- Mike survived year 3 as department chair.
- Virginia (Mom) passed away, at the age of 94, in early November.
Our garden and fruit trees were mostly productive (no apricots or cherries, but loads of plums). I am attempting to downsize in the vegetable garden — spread things out, and only plant as much as Mike and I can eat. I’m not entirely successful, but it’s OK, because some of Mike’s colleagues are really into garlic, arugula, greens, and kale.
Below are links to new “keeper” recipes that I tried during the holidays.
- Winter Squash Rolls:Butternut squash goes crazy in our garden.
- Wild Rice Arugula Salad:I have enough arugula to feed all of Norman.
- Mushroom Gravy: Smoked turkey means no drippings for gravy, so this is the solution.