There are times, in the depth of winter, when I absolutely crave Thai basil. And here in Norman Oklahoma you can’t just pick it up at the local grocery, you have to make a special trip to Cao Nguyen. So two weeks ago I harvested all my Thai basil and made a pesto, which I then froze in those little snack-sized ziplock baggies. I intend to use it in fresh spring rolls, Thai curries, and on rice noodles.
- 1 – 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce (optional; if you leave it out add 1 tsp salt)
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (or substitute hot chili and brown sugar)
- lots and lots of Thai basil leaves (as much as you can jam into the blender)
If your blender balks at processing all this, gradually add a little water.