Gosh I love Fort Collins! I need one of my offspring to move here. Some observations:
- Yes, there are still irrigation ditches, and still some open land in the center, although not as much (the fort has more than doubled since our undergraduate days).
- Yes, it still smells like cows.
- And people are still laid back outdoorsy environmentally aware, and not as intensely “hip” as Boulder. The Food Co-op is still running, in the same location, but maybe a little less funky. There is also a Whole Foods Market (meh).
- Great improvements since 1980 as far as coffee/bistro/beer (not that we could have affording these back in the day!) Check out Hops & Berries – great selection.
- And the Old Town is booming with eateries, pubs, art galleries, gift galleries, sporting goods, etc.
On Monday we went for a drive up Poudre Canyon and then back to town through Rist Canyon. Stopped at a great nursery – The Plantorium, where we bought a rhubarb plant and a tomatillo plant. Then we went to O
dell’s and tried two different samplers and bought some six packs. Unf
stack goat cheese at Whole Foods, and then crashed at Deborah and Alan Nelson’s house.